Eligibility, Requirements and Application
Part-time Reading Coaches
Reading coaches provide elementary school students who are below grade level in reading proficiency with the support they need to catch up to their peers.
To participate in this program, you must:
- Be eligible to receive college work-study funding. Visit http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/finaid/
- Have a block of time available during the normal school day (8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) at least three days per week to provide reading assistance at an assigned school. Morning blocks are preferable.
- Be able to commit to a minimum of twelve hours per week.
- Have reliable transportation to and from your assigned school.
Reading coaches are expected to:
- Commit to a year-long school assignment.
- Establish and adhere to a consistent tutoring schedule.
- Attend all training sessions and monthly meetings set forth by the program.
Applicants can apply through the VCU work-study jobs portal at http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/finaid/
Applicants may also apply directly to the VCU America Reads Program. Download the America Reads application (PDF).
Recruitment occurs throughout the year as needed, with peak hiring times in September and January. You are encouraged to apply early to ensure a suitable placement. Eligibility for on campus federal work study will be confirmed prior to hire.