Impact on Students Served
Tutoring and mentoring services by VCU America Reads members provide positive benefits up to 1,000 students annually in the metro-Richmond area. These positive outcomes support a variety of academic and social gains for students. The most emphasized aspect of this service delivery is the positive effects of program services on student academic achievement.
- The majority of student participants improve at least one grade level after receiving program literacy support.
- Program support contributes to increases in the number of students who are able to read at grade level at post-test.
- Students receiving program reading support and mentoring services demonstrate better classroom behavior.
- School attendance figures appear to be positively affected for program participants.
- Teacher and site liaison surveys suggest a positive correlation between program reading support and overall student achievement.
- Evaluation results support the conclusion that tutoring services benefit first-, second- and third-graders most significantly — in that order.
Impact on America Reads Members
Participation in VCU America Reads provides program members with a variety of opportunities for professional and personal development, including strengthening their leadership skills, enhancing their ability to work within a team setting and increasing their commitment to community and national service. Information collected from annual member surveys shows a direct link between member service activities and member growth and development.
- The majority of members believe the service experience helped them gain a better understanding of the educational system.
- The majority of members found the service experience helped prepare them to make informed decisions about their future careers.
- The majority of members found that member trainings prepared them for service activities.
- The majority of members felt that their service sites benefitted from their assistance.
- The majority of members felt that the students they tutored/mentored improved socially and academically.
- The majority of members plan to continue to stay civically engaged in their local community through service.