The VCU Division of Community Engagement mobilizes university-community partnerships that generate innovative solutions to societal challenges and prepares the engaged citizens of tomorrow.
VCU is a community of engaged citizens, working together, changing lives.
Community Engagement Principles
The Core Values outlined in the Quest for Distinction are fully reflected in the division’s activities. To support these values and pursue its unique mission, the division has identified five key operating principles that guide our work:
- To value and respect the knowledge and expertise that exists within communities.
- To support collaborative university-community partnerships built on trust and reciprocity.
- To seek out, engage, and value diverse perspectives and experiences that forge practical and innovative solutions.
- To advance and disseminate new knowledge and best practices through community engaged scholarship.
- To develop and adopt a model of best practices in community engagement – the DCE Model of Excellence for University-Community Partnerships.
Download the 2013-2018 Division of Community Engagement Strategic Plan (PDF).