Faculty Fellows Program
To promote the goals of VCU’s Quest 2025: Together We Transform, funds have been designated for experienced service-learning faculty to participate in the Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program. This program is designed to:
- cultivate faculty leadership for the civic engagement and regional transformation goals of the university mission.
- support faculty development by advancing interdisciplinary community-engaged research, and
- increase departmental and campus capacity to provide innovative 21st-century learning experiences through service-learning and community engagement by developing a cadre of master teachers in service-learning.
Application Deadline and Notification
Applications are received each spring, and notifications are made in early May for the following academic year. For additional details on applying, contact Dr. Lynn Pelco at email@example.com.
Applications for 2019-2020 Faculty Fellowships are due April 1, 2019
The VCU Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program enrolls faculty members who have experience in teaching service-learning classes to serve as campus leaders in teaching excellence. Fellows collaborate with the VCU Service-Learning Office staff to deepen awareness and knowledge of service-learning pedagogy across VCU’s academic departments. Fellows are appointed for one year with the potential of extending their appointment for one additional year. Second-year fellows must apply and be accepted.
Fellowship Responsibilities (per academic year):
- Devote, on average, a minimum of 2 hours per week (30 hours per semester) to fellowship activities.
- Meet with a minimum of 5 department chairs within the assigned academic unit(s) with the goal of deepening administrators’ awareness and understanding of service-learning pedagogy within the disciplines.
- Host a minimum of 5 informational presentations, workshops, or brown bags within the assigned academic unit(s).
- Introduce yourself to all of the service-learning class instructors in the assigned academic unit(s). Lists of these instructors provided by the Service-Learning Office staff.
- Hold a minimum of 10 face-to-face service-learning consultation meetings within the assigned academic unit(s) with faculty instructors, including but not limited to newly hired faculty members, novice service-learning instructors, etc.
- Attend 2 group meetings of the Service-Learning Faculty Fellows (one per semester). NOTE: The first group meeting will be held during the first two weeks of the fall semester.
- Participate in selection of service-learning student award winners.
- Submit an end-of-year activities report.
- Opportunities to provide university-level leadership in promoting teaching excellence that can be included in annual reports as well as in promotion and/or tenure documentation.
- Visibility as a campus-wide leader in community-engaged experiential pedagogy.
- Opportunities to expand professional knowledge about higher education administration through consultation with a range of academic departmental leaders.
- Opportunities to network with other experienced service-learning faculty instructors through Faculty Fellow meetings.
- Opportunities to participate in service-learning scholarship with Service-Learning Office staff and other fellows (optional).
- Receive an annual $1,000 professional development stipend.
VCU Service-Learning Faculty Fellows will receive an annual $1,000 stipend for their participation in the Service-Learning Faculty Fellows program. This stipend will be paid as a budget index transfer to the fellow’s department to be used for professional development and/or expenses that support the fellow’s professional work. A stipend of $500 will be paid at mid-year in January and $500 will be paid at end-of-year in July following the fellowship year. Funds awarded in January must be spent by June 15 of the same calendar year. Funds awarded in July must be spent by June 15 of the following calendar year.
Due on or before May 1st of the fellowship year: Each Fellow is required to provide the VCU Service-Learning Office staff with an end-of-year report that includes details and reflections on activities accomplished as well as barriers experienced. NOTE: Activities/accomplishments that are planned/expected to occur between May 1 and August 31 can be included in the report as (Expected):
IMPORTANT: First-year fellows who wish to be considered for a second fellowship year must combine their end-of-year report with their Second-Year Fellows Re-Application Form (Word) and submit both by the May 1 deadline.
All faculty, including tenure-line, term, clinical and adjunct appointments from all academic units at VCU with at least three semesters of experience using service-learning pedagogy are eligible to apply for the Service-Learning Faculty Fellows program. Applications will be reviewed for the following required and preferred qualifications.
- Experience successfully teaching at least 3 semesters of service-learning classes.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative, solve problems and demonstrate leadership.
- Experience with providing faculty professional development.
- Attendance at the VCU Community Engagement Institute or other service-learning related professional development training/conference.