VCU Units Encouraged to "Adopt-a-Classroom"
Beginning in Fall 2016, VCU will launch the "Adopt-a-Classroom" Initiative, which will encourage VCU faculty and staff to support as many as 15 classrooms in Richmond Public Schools.
VCU will partner with George Washington Carver Elementary School and Communities in Schools of Richmond (CIS) to pair Kindergarten through second grade classrooms with VCU units/departments. Eligible employees will be able to use Community Service Leave.
VCU students will also be recruited through VCU’s America Reads program to provide literacy support.
The initiative aims to make a difference in the school community through:
- Regularly scheduled visits to assigned classrooms to assist with academic activities.
- Participation in read aloud days, including Dr. Seuss Day.
- Participation in career days.
- Participation in field days.
- School beautification projects.
- One-to-one mentoring.
- Activities that respond to additional school-identified needs (e.g., school supplies).
Role of Departments/Units
- Make a formal commitment to support a classroom by identifying participating staff/faculty.
- Assign a lead contact in order to facilitate communication, tasks and a visitation schedule.
- Commit to participating in initiative events.
- Have fun!
For more information, contact Tito Luna at firstname.lastname@example.org.